Sunday, November 23rd, 2014
Home | Contact | Site Map

Welcome To Towanda Borough

Welcome to Historic Towanda Borough

 Towanda Borough was incorporated in 1828 from Towanda Township.  The area of the Borough was first settled in 1784 although its early growth was quite modest.  There were seven families in 1812, twelve families in 1816 , thirty families by 1820 and about fifty by 1830.  The first settler was believed to be William Means who married Elizabeth Fox, daughter of Rudolph Fox of Towanda Township.  In 1812 upon the organization of Bradford County, commissioners were appointed to locate a county seat.  They apparently settled upon the current courthouse square in Towanda as a location close to the geographic center of the county  and conveniently situated to the stream valleys of Sugar, Towanda and Wysox Creeks and the Susquehanna River.    

 ***********************************************************************************

 To receive emergency alerts and storm warnings, click the image below and register for the Code Red system.

Receive storm alerts before severe weather strikes 

 ****************************************************************************************


 

Unconventional Gas Well Fund Usage Report